Tuesday 5 November 2013

ROASTED HADDOCK ON CHICKPEA & CHORIZO SAUTE

Another Monday morning of feeling like a whale!! I don't know why I do it to myself - I am super good for half the week and then roll on Thursday and I go food and wine crazy - gone is the soup, salad and fish and instead it's crisps, dips, saucisson, full English breakfasts, burgers, cheese, three course meals and buckets of wine. 

Every Monday I have the same conversation with my best friends about how they have done the same and we pledge to each other that we are turning over a new leaf and from now on we are going to know our limits with alcohol, not gorge on food until we feel sick and instead are going to ooze health.......unfortunately our good intentions have yet to last!!!

Anyway I took myself straight to the gym on Monday and then had a healthy lunch of soup and it was fish for supper. Pascal was so unexcited by the prospect, he refused to help and tried to persuade Arabella and I to go out for pizza but I stayed strong and I am very pleased I did as I felt almost human again today.

One of my pet peeves about recipe books, such as Jamie Oliver's, is that you need an industrial sized kitchen to hold all the ingredients that you might only use once, or twice if you are lucky. Therefore I am quite a fan of Ainsley Harriott's "Just Five Ingredients" cookbook. Some of the recipes could do with a little something extra but most of them are really good, especially this one.

Ingredients for 4 people:

4 x 150g skinless haddock fillets (you could use any white fish to be honest)
1 large red onion, finely chopped
200g raw chorizo sausages, finely diced
2 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
15g roughly chopped coriander leaves
4 tablespoons of olive oil


Preheat the oven to 200C / gas mark 6 and place the haddock fillets on a non stick baking sheet / tin foil, season and drizzle with about a tablespoon of olive oil. Roast in the oven for about 12 minutes or until just tender but moist in the middle.

While the fish is cooking, heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan. Add the onion and saute for about 4 minutes until softened but not coloured. Add the chorizo and cook for another few minutes until the colour has started to bleed into the onion.


Next add the chickpeas and cook until they are completely heated through - this took about another 5 minutes.


Finally stir in the coriander with the remaining oil and season to taste I felt it needed some salt).



Serve with the roasted haddock on top and tuck in.


It was delicious - Pascal as always complains about having fish but absolutely loved it, and Arabella finished every last morsel - her only comment was she would have liked even more chorizo in the dish! Normally I am quite tight about buying fresh herbs as you never use all of them and so end up throwing them away but the coriander is a very important part of the recipe and really compliments the different flavours.

The chickpea and chorizo saute will last in the fridge for a couple of days and makes a delicious lunch on it's own however there was not a bite left from ours - typical!!

No comments:

Post a Comment